Frequently Asked Questions

We are here to make the buying process as easy as possible. If you have a question which is not answered he, be sure to send us an email so we can assist!

SwiftReg aim to make the buying process as easy as possible.
When you buy a personalised registration, you retain ownership of this registration for a period of 10 years. This registration will be held on a certificate to confirm you are the official owner. This 10 year period can be extended for a fee set by the DVLA. If you are buying a registration number as an investment, this is the ideal and most common way to do it.
If you want to display your new registration on a vehicle, you have to request DVLA to assign it to the vehicle before it is displayed. SwiftReg can assist with this using our "Managed Transfer Service" when purchasing your registration.

For full details on the ordering process please see our Number Plate Ordering Guide
No - you have a period of 10 years to decide if you want to transfer it onto a vehicle. Whilst it is not on a vehicle, it is held on a retention certificate.
Yes as soon as the legal registration certificate has been processed which takes between 7-10 working days, the the new registration can be transfered immediately. However you cannot display the registration on your vehicle until the legal transfer has been completed.

We will send you a confirmation email to confirm once this has been complete with relevant information. You will then automatically be issued a new V5C Log book with your new registration.

For full details on the ordering process please see our Number Plate Ordering Guide
For SwiftReg to transfer your new registration, we will require the following;

  • Most recent V5C document for your vehicle
  • Details of the current MOT test (if applicable)
  • Details of current road tax

You will be asked to provide these details after submitting your order and making payment on our website.

If you do not wish to transfer your new registration straight away, then no documents are required,

For full details on the ordering process please see our Number Plate Ordering Guide
  • You cannot transfer a personalised registration onto a Q registered vehicle. This is a vehicle which license plate begins with a "Q" which is where the age or identity is in doubt.
  • You can only transfer a registration onto a vehicle which requires a MOT or HGV certificate. ie; You cannot transfer a registration onto a tractor as these do not need MOT or HGV certificates
  • You cannot transfer a registration onto a vehicle to make it appear newer than it actually is. For example, you cannot transfer a registration which was issued in 2018 onto a 2015 vehicle. If your unsure, please contact us before you make your purchase.

When you assign your new registration to your vehicle, if your old registration is the vehicles original it will normally be assigned back to the vehicle by the DVLA upon removing your private registration number in the future.

However, if you currently have a private registration number on your vehicle you will need to request DVLA hold this on a retention certificate for you. 

You must do this before the new registration number is assigned to the vehicle or you will lose the entitlement of this. A further £80 transfer fee will be applicable for you current private registration to be put on retention certificate for future use. We can also take care of this for you for a small admin charge on your behalf.
The prices you see advertised are the price for the registration only. You can however include a set of DVLA compliant and road legal plates upon checkout.
The sale of all registrations and/or number plates are strictly non-refundable. Once you have made an order, you will not be able to change your mind.
If for any reason you no longer want your new registration, SwiftReg can advertise and sell this on your behalf. We do not offer part exchange.
Registrations advertised on are a combination of stock from DVLA, private cherished number plate dealers, private sellers and our own stock.
We regularly update our stock to ensure only available registrations are available.
However, due to the amount of registrations available (50 million+), in the highly rare and unlikely event a registration you purchase is not available, you will have either the choice of a full refund or to choose a similar registration of the same value.
Swiftreg can advertise your personalised registration on our website which receives thousands of visitors every day.

To list your registration for sale, please complete the listing form on this page Sell My Number Plate
Yes, motorcycles/motorbikes and mopeds are permitted for personalised registrations.
Need additional assistance or want to ask a question? Let us know how we can help you.
Got A Question? 01732 280212